Confirming user age can be essential for meeting legal requirements, user segmentation, and more. Using Centercode’s Date of Birth feature (enabled within the Community’s User Account Settings), you can collect a user’s birthdate immediately upon account creation.
Once collecting Date of Birth, your portal does the math for you, calculating the numerical age of your users and opening up helpful User Management options. For example, you might configure your Recruitment Limiting Filter or Community Notices to block users who are below legal age restrictions. You could automatically segment users to designated teams depending on age ranges to sort users into demographic buckets. Once collected, Birthdate (and Age) is functional across the site - displayed within User Summaries and readily available in Filters and Views.
To enable the Date of Birth Setting upon Account Creation:
- Log into your Centercode portal as a Community Administrator
- Click on Community Tools then Configuration in the left hand menu
- Click on User Account Settings under “Advanced Configuration”.
- Use the Date of Birth Settings drop down to select one of the following:- Hidden - date of birth field will not appear on Account Creation page- Shown - date of birth field will be on Account Creation page but is not required- Required - date of birth field will be on Account Creation page and is required
- When you have chosen your selection, click Submit
- Typically, it’s not legal to retain any information pertaining to children under the age of 13. We recommend you use Notice-based Automated Segmentation to “soft-block” these accounts.
- For any concerns about the ramifications of collecting information about children under 13, consult your legal team for further guidance.
Important Note: Community or Project Managers should not use the Centercode platform to collect information about children without consulting legal counsel and complying with all applicable legal requirements, including parental consent.